This past week I had the pleasure of meeting two couples traveling together that enjoyed their stay so much, they thought I needed to add some more pictures and brief descriptions of not only our quaint town, but, more importantly, of our own beautiful street, Ocean Avenue, so that others may get a small glimpse into the Paradise that is within walking distance from Port d’Hiver. So here is a “picture map” of Ocean Avenue that I took with my phone today. I love our half-mile-wide island (just 5 blocks in total) and know you will, too!
Our starting location: Port d’Hiver! We are located on the beach-end of Ocean Avenue.
Just 200 yards across from our front door is the beach access – Ocean Park.
Although Ocean Park is small in size, it does have 2 large, beach volleyball courts, an outdoor shower and a few picnic tables situated under shady palm trees.
Headed west on Ocean Avenue towards the Indian River, you will pass many small, mom-and-pop shops and restaurants/bars, including:
- Saver’s Drug
- Melbourne Beach Market (grocery store)
- Oceanside Liquors
- Nautical Collections: Seashell Jewelry and Beach Gift Shop
- Black Dog Bait & Tackle Shop
- Catalyst Surf Shop
- Victoria’s Coin Laundry
- Sundae’s Ice Cream
- Oceanside Pizza
- Robburito’s (gourmet burritos and tacos)
The last 3 blocks or so of Ocean Avenue is where you’ll find Melbourne Beach’s Activity Centers, including:
- Ryckman Park: Gazebos, Tennis and Basketball Courts, Bocce Ball, the Pier, and a playground
- Historical Sites: The Old Post Office, Ryckman House, the Community Chapel, and the Melbourne-Atlantic Railroad
- The Community Center
- The Police & Fire Departments
After enjoying a sunny day on the beach at Ocean Park, many Port d’Hiver guests like to spend their evening walking through Ryckman Park, taking pictures of sunsets on the Pier, and dining at Djon’s Steak And Lobster House, which is across the street from the park and located at the Indian River-end of Ocean Avenue (just 5 blocks from the Inn).